Michael combines his experience from senior leadership positions over 25 years in the Canadian Armed Forces with his entrepreneurial work in health and wellness in working with nationally and internationally distributed teams. Michael uses both informal and formal assessments in several modalities with clients, including leadership and workplace assessments, that help explore how organizations and individuals can better function in the workplace, ultimately creating a positive corporate culture for people to thrive in. His knowledge of working with teams and distributed team management in the government provides a unique perspective when combined with the academic background and theory of team and group dynamics.
Michael completed his MA in Counselling Psychology at University of Victoria which is what his registration as a psychologist is based on in both Alberta and BC. He also has a PhD from the University of British Columbia in the Centre for Cross Faculty Inquiry in Education where he focused on Counselling and Education, adds to his expertise in working with clients although not approved as a doctorate in psychology. He is a sessional instructor at the University of Victoria in their Counselling Psychology program, an adjunct faculty at University of British Columbia in their counselling psychology program, and is the psychological assessment instructor for Life Strategies Inc. He also works with Canada Career Counselling, Calgary Career Counselling and Work EvOHlution, focusing on helping individuals and teams maximize their personal potential in career and the workplace. He is certified and trained in several assessments used to build and develop both leadership and team building including Emergenetics, MBTI®, Work Personality Index, Occupational Personality Questionnaire, and the Motivational Questionnaire.
- Directed the Canadian Forces Leadership Program for the Royal Canadian Navy.
- Developed leadership and professional development training for the Royal Canadian Naval Reserve.
- Provided counselling and coaching to clients in their career transition journey.
- Created and administered team training workshops focused on communication and awareness.
- Certified in Emergenetics as an Associate, using the assessment and approach to work with organizations and teams to build cohesion and increase effectiveness.
- Developed the organizational structure and systems to successfully complete domestic and international operations and missions as the Commanding Officer of a Canadian Warship.
Michael is a Registered Psychologist with the College of Alberta Psychologists and the College of Psychologists of BC. In addition, he is a Certified Canadian Counsellor with the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association, and Registered Clinical Counsellor with the BC Association of Clinical Counsellors.